Dear IMTA Colleagues,
I’m writing to invite you to nominate talented young pianists to perform in this year’s IMTA conference master class with James Tocco, of the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music. As you know, this year’s state conference will be take place Oct. 21-22 at the Indiana University Jacobs School of Music in Bloomington. The master class will be Saturday October 22 in Ford Hall (Simon Center) from 10:00am-11:50am.
I am coordinating the pre-college portion of this class. To select performers I invite you to submit CDs of talented students. Applicants should not only play well—they should also be able to respond well in a public master class. Prof. Tocco normally teaches advanced college pianists. He gives a wonderful master class…but you may want to alert interested students that his expectations will be high.
Students should be secure performers who can change on the spot, and who are not overly sensitive to public criticism. Parents should be strongly encouraged to bring young performers the night before so they will be well rested and can warm up.
An impartial judge (an Indiana University faculty member) will select from the audition CDs in a “blind” fashion, knowing only the age of the student and the name of the piece being performed.
Please send only audio CDs. No other formats can be reviewed
- Performers must be studying with a current IMTA member.
- Pieces should be from the standard repertoire, and should be polished and securely memorized.
- One applicant per CD, please.
- The CD case should have a removable label listing:
1) the student’s name, e-mail address, cell and home phone numbers;
2) the teacher’s name, e-mail, cell phone number.
- Do not write anything on the CD itself that could identify performer or teacher.
- The CD should contain an unedited recording of your student performing only the piece proposed for the class.
No repertoire changes will be permitted.
Send all audition CDs from your studio in one package if possible.
Send your submissions to:
4426 East Sheffield Dr.
Bloomington, IN 47408-3135
The deadline for receipt of CDs is Saturday October 8. NOTE: this is the date by which the CD must be in my mailbox, not the postmark deadline. No extensions or exceptions are possible (sorry about that…but the judge has other commitments that impose time constraints on their availability). This is an exceptional opportunity for a couple of special students. Please give it careful thought, and encourage your worthy candidates to apply!
All good wishes,
Dr. Karen M. Taylor